Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Third Sojourn- Isckon and Mahabharata!

The Third Sojourn- Isckon and Mahabharata!
30th Sept’2015.
1700 to 1900 hours

During our last two visits, we found our shared love for Mahabharata and Hindu mythology. And we decided that we should devote a meet on this. Listening to the stories that the other person has to tell (No matter how much and how many times you read about Hindu mythology and Mahabharata, the stories are never going to end). So, I was all packed with the different videos I had of ISCKON and the book of pictures related to Mahabharata. All those enchanting characters of Krishna, Kunti, Pandavas, Kauravas et al excited us a lot. We started with ISCKON and saw two videos.

v  Bhagvad Gita and its role in our lives today (modern lives) - This basically starts with Lord Krishna’s dialogue with Arjuna and relating every lesson with our world today. It was both a mix of learning and stories. It takes us back to the Kurukshetra battle ground and the battle scene is recreated!
v  Three forms of mankind- In this video, it had divided humans in three forms. The one who is all pure, the one who is in the middle doing good and doing right and last the one who does all badly. First one gets heaven, the second one gets reincarnation and the third one gets hell.

After that, we had the book of Mahabharata where we started discussing about our favorite stories. My favorite was one related to Bhishma Pitama. How he has taken the vow and abided by it till the end of his life. Though, I don’t support all his actions but the character is too magnificent in terms of his prowess and strengths. That I am almost lured to him as a super hero!

Her favorite story was the one where Arjuna is on the verge of backing out from the epic war and Lord Krishna comes in to tell the difference between Karma and Dharma!
The talk could have gone on and on. It was wonderful to discuss such profound subjects with children (especially of these days). She is in tenth class and such knowledge! WOW! She has read the Bhagvad Gita as well. She is practically my brother’s age but I have never had a talk with my brother other than Breaking Bad or EDM!
Also, I made sure that the topic is going on as a mythology, story and learning and do not take the tricky path of religion! It is a deadly trap and I made sure I don’t get into it.



His father was very happy that day! Of course, the topic is very well loved by parents.
As the days goes by, the family and Prachi herself is getting more close to me.
I have noticed that if there is a gap of more than a week, that flow of thoughts and companionship gets diminished. So, I made it a point today to meet every week to maintain that comfort level.

This was the first time she actually said (though I had observed this ago as well) that her self-confidence is low. She told that she wants to give an answer but is unable to do so! My agenda got clearer now. Building her self-confidence is on my priority list!

 Shagun



No comments:

Post a Comment